Tuesday 26 April 2011

Portraits

I recently met Tsutomu Yamagata (Tom) a Japanese portrait photographer, who was exhibiting some great portraits in a Hutong in Beijing. Tom's exhibition was called thirteen orphans and was great to see. It reminded me that portrait photography is an area I would like to develop further from a personal perspective. And, it has to be said, there are some great opportunities for this in China. However, one of my personal favourites thus far was taken one night in my local pub in London. The girl is called Megan and is a Hackney resident.


And on to China, this is a picture of my friend's son. He had just woken me up by taking photos of me so I thought I would get him back. We spent a week together with him talking to me in Chinese and me not understanding a word. Yet, this didn't matter and he was perfectly happy to talk away regardless. His name is Xiaoshuai, which translates to little handsome apparently.


A friend of mine called Trevor has this friend, who teaches Kung Fu. Apparently her father, also an instructor, taught Jet Li. A tall story you may say. You hear a lot of such in China. Whether true or not, who knows. She's a good teacher though from what I saw.


Animals, of course, also make good portraits. This fella was in Hackney. In China he would be lunch



No comments:

Post a Comment